The media that cares.
News Headlines

Latest News

View All

Eastern Cape Erupts: Deadly Protests Over Igbo King Coronation Spark Anti-Foreigner Violence

 


-Advocacyadmin


Violent unrest has erupted in South Africa’s Eastern Cape Province after protests opposing the disputed coronation of an Igbo traditional ruler spiralled out of control, with demonstrators burning vehicles and looting shops owned by foreign nationals.

The demonstrations, led on Monday by members of ActionSA alongside traditional leaders and local residents, were initially organised to challenge what organisers described as a breach of the province’s sovereignty, constitutional framework, and recognised traditional leadership structures.

Tensions, however, quickly escalated in KuGompo City, where the protests turned violent, prompting police intervention to disperse the crowds, according to SABC News. Footage shared on X showed protesters setting fire to vehicles and buildings reportedly owned by foreign nationals, as security forces intensified efforts to restore calm.

Newsroom Afrika reported that properties linked to foreigners were deliberately targeted during the unrest, while CDR Africa noted that the violence reflected mounting anger over the coronation. The situation worsened further after a stabbing incident allegedly involving Ethiopian shop owners, which, according to eNCA, turned the unrest deadly. At least two people were hospitalised, and several vehicles were destroyed.

ActionSA’s Eastern Cape chair, Athol Trollip, reiterated the party’s opposition to the coronation in East London, describing it as unlawful and inconsistent with South Africa’s traditional leadership system. He stressed that the country’s constitution does not provide for the crowning of a Nigerian Igbo king in the province and criticised remarks made during the ceremony suggesting the establishment of a kingship.

Trollip added that the party stands firmly with recognised traditional authorities and insisted that due process must be followed in matters of cultural governance. He also warned against any attempt to create what he described as a “homeland,” referencing the region’s painful history of displacement under the former Ciskei and Transkei administrations.

He further called on both the Nigerian government and South African authorities to take a clear stance on the issue, rejecting any recognition of an Igbo kingship in the Eastern Cape or elsewhere in the country.

Some protesters issued strong warnings, vowing to intensify their resistance if their concerns are not addressed. One protester, Inoksi Sigcawu, said residents might “take matters into their own hands” if authorities fail to act, while others demanded the deportation of Nigerians linked to the coronation.

Sigcawu maintained that the province’s authority is defined by the constitution and cannot be undermined by external actors. He urged the government to remove those involved in what he described as an illegal coronation and called for investigations into foreign-owned businesses to verify compliance with regulations.



Protesters had earlier marched across parts of the province, calling for immediate government intervention and warning that inaction could lead to further unrest.

Meanwhile, the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) said it had not received any official report of attacks on Nigerians, dismissing claims circulating on social media as unverified. Spokesperson Abdur-Rahman Balogun stated that the commission would rely on official diplomatic channels before taking action.

He explained that incidents of such magnitude are typically reported through formal channels and noted that neither victims nor relevant authorities had lodged any complaint with the commission. He added that NiDCOM would engage with Nigeria’s embassy in South Africa to verify the situation.

In response to the developments, the Nigerian High Commission in Pretoria issued an advisory urging Nigerians in South Africa to remain cautious and vigilant. Citizens were advised to keep a low profile, avoid large gatherings, limit non-essential travel, and exercise restraint on social media to prevent further escalation of tensions.

The High Commission emphasised that the advisory was intended to promote safety and responsible behaviour, not to incite panic, noting that while South Africa presents significant opportunities, personal security must remain a priority amid the current uncertainty.

\

Search This Blog

Labels

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

  • ()

Social Media