Osun Decides: Police Deploy 15,000 Operatives, 30 CPs as State Goes to Poll
The Nigeria Police Force has announced the deployment of over 15,000 operatives, including 30 Commissioners of Police, to provide security during the Osun State governorship election scheduled for Saturday. The Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Anietie Iniedu, disclosed this while addressing journalists in Osogbo on Thursday, assuring residents that adequate measures had been put in place to ensure a peaceful and credible poll.
According to Iniedu, security preparations for the election commenced three weeks ago, with a Deputy Inspector-General of Police assigned to coordinate operations across the state. He revealed that each of Osun’s 30 local government areas would have a Commissioner of Police overseeing security activities, supported by Deputy Commissioners of Police, Mobile Police Commanders, and PMF commanders. He added that police helicopters and drone units had already arrived in the state to conduct surveillance before, during, and after the election.
The police spokesperson further disclosed that heavily armed Mobile Police units had been stationed across the state, including two special units deployed to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) headquarters in Osogbo. He also announced that movement restrictions would be enforced from midnight on Election Day, with only security personnel, election officials, and voters on essential duties permitted to move around. The Nigerian Army, he said, would secure all major entry points into the state to prevent the influx of troublemakers.
As part of efforts to curb electoral violence and other offences, Iniedu warned against acts such as vote-buying, voter intimidation, ballot-box snatching, and other forms of electoral misconduct. He advised parents to caution their children against engaging in criminal activities during the election, noting that a mobile court would be established to prosecute offenders swiftly. He also revealed that security agencies had recovered 34 illegal firearms in the state in recent weeks, with investigations still ongoing.
Meanwhile, reports of alleged vote-buying surfaced in parts of Osogbo, with some residents claiming they received cash from individuals believed to be canvassing support for political parties participating in the election. Traders in several markets, including Oja Ojude Oga, Ota Efun, Igbona, and Alekuwodo, alleged that they were given money and promised additional rewards on Election Day. However, the All Progressives Congress (APC) denied involvement in any vote-buying scheme, insisting that its popularity and candidate's strength were sufficient to secure victory.
On its part, the Independent National Electoral Commission urged political parties and candidates to honour the peace accord signed ahead of the election. INEC spokesman Adedayo Oketola said the commission had completed the deployment of non-sensitive materials and was set to move sensitive materials to Registration Area Centres before Election Day. He expressed confidence in the commission’s preparedness, stating that voting was expected to commence by 8:30 a.m. across the state’s 3,700 polling units. The commission also disclosed that 1,906,390 Permanent Voter Cards had been collected by registered voters, representing 81.5 per cent of the state’s 2.3 million eligible electorate.